How To Create A Baby Sleep RoutineDec 22, 2022
It's no secret that baby sleep is tough, but many people don't know that "tough" is often the wrong word.
Baby sleep doesn't have to be difficult and confusing - it can be enjoyable and easy!
We'll look at why a routine is important for parents and babies and how to create a sleeping schedule for a newborn.
We'll also look at what you can do to help your family get the best possible night's sleep.
The Importance of a Routine for Babies
Fun Fact: Babies need more sleep than adults do!
That's why creating a sleeping schedule for a newborn is important.
A bedtime routine helps signal your baby that it's time to go to sleep. It also helps to establish a regular sleep schedule.
This is important because it helps your baby get the right amount of rest and sleep each night.
Here are 3 things to help you establish a great bedtime routine.
1. Start by Choosing a Consistent Bedtime.
It's a good idea to put your little one to bed at the same time each night.
2. Create a Calming Environment
Select some relaxing activities to include in your baby's bedtime routine. This means dimming the lights and keeping noise levels low.
3. Bond with Your Little One
Give your baby plenty of cuddles and kisses before they drift off into dreamland.
6 Tips For Creating A Sleeping Schedule For A Newborn
Here are 6 simple and easy tips for setting up a sleeping schedule for a newborn.
*use numbering formatting*
- It's never too early to start experimenting with sleeping training methods.
- A regular bedtime will help your baby know when it's time to sleep. Find a reasonable time that works for everyone and be consistent with it.
- Put your baby to bed sleepy but awake. This will help your baby learn to fall asleep on their own.
- Keep the environment dark and quiet. A calming, dark, and quiet environment will help promote sleep.
- A calming bedtime routine can help signal your baby that it's time to sleep. This could include things like reading a book or taking a bath.
- Be patient! Your little one may need time to adapt to a new sleep routine. Be patient and keep at it!
What does a Baby's Sleep Routine look like?
You should create a baby sleep routine around the baby's natural sleep patterns.
The routine should include a pre-sleep ritual, such as a bath or massage, followed by quiet time before bed. Once in bed, the baby should be left to fall asleep on their own.
While every baby is different, most babies need 14 to 17 hours of sleep daily. This means that a typical newborn sleep schedule would look something like this:
*use bullet point formatting*
- 8-9 hours at night
- 3-5 naps during the day
As your baby grows up, they will gradually start sleeping for longer periods at night and taking fewer naps during the day.
By around 6 months old, most babies sleep for around 12 hours at night and take 2 naps during the day.
How The Newborn Sleep Company can make your life easier
If you're a new parent, the thought of getting your baby on a sleep routine may seem daunting. Creating a sleep routine for your baby can help both of you get more rest.
The Newborn Sleep Company can help you create a personalized sleep plan for your baby.
Our expert team of newborn care specialists and baby nurses can help you adapt to your new life as a parent with 24/7 in-home newborn care.
Whether you need overnight support, feeding support, or daytime help, they can help you.